Monday, August 10, 2015

"There's Something Weird in the Fridge Today" MTBoSBlaugust-School Lunch Recipe Swap (Day 8)

It's important to have meals planned out to eat healthily in the evening, but it is also important to quick, healthy options to eat while you are at school as well.  Besides providing yourself with healthy meals, making your own lunch is generally pretty cost effective too. I know my school's lunches for adults are now $3.25 or somewhere around there.  If you ate school lunch everyday, that would cost you close to $600. I know that I could be using that money for something, probably supplies for my classroom! :)

I will share a few of my favorites with you, and I hope to see what you bring for school lunch too!  Disclosure:  my favorites are in no particular order of preference

1. Yellow Beans, Peas, Radish and Dill Salad  
This is a new favorite that I made today for the first time. I picked some wax beans from our garden, so I used fresh beans for this, but I would make it canned beans too.  I also didn't have, nor am I a big fan of peas, so I used edamame.

2.  Rotini & Vegetable Salad:
This is an old favorite that I had lost for awhile and recently became reacquainted with through the magic of the Internet.  I love the balsamic vinegar and the red pepper  flakes.
 
3.  Italian Chopped Salad:
I haven't made this one a lot, mostly because I kind of forgot about, but it is a very versatile option.  There is maybe a bit more prep for this salad as compared to the other two, but it's still pretty simple to assemble.  I will say, this probably doesn't hold up as long as other options.  If I wanted to extend its life a bit, I might mix everything else together and put in fresh lettuce.

4.  Turkey Wrap with Cucumber Cream Cheese:
I mostly use this recipe as inspiration for other ideas.

5.  Penne with Green Beans and Basil: 
This one was originally published in a Good Housekeeping book, which is where I found it.  This one is a great recipe to use fresh green beans, tomatoes, and basil that you may have from your garden.

6. Tomato and Orzo Salad:
This one is also from Good Housekeeping, but as of yet, I can't find an electronic copy.   Basically, there is a simple lemon vinaigrette, seasoning, Parmesan cheese, green beans (I usually use wax beans), and of course some tomato and orzo.

7.  Tofu "Egg" Salad:
This is also from Good Housekeeping.  I did find a recipe that's basically the same, however, the version I have doesn't use relish or milk, and has green onion and red pepper.  At first glance, this link suggests no celery, but that seems to be a typo.  It's very simple and you could easily adapt it to your wants.  The key is draining the tofu, mashing it, and coloring it with the turmeric.

I probably go on and on, as I love to cook, but this post is getting pretty long!  I hope you found something that you might try!

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to come make my lunches too! :) Those sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't think I will be able to make the commute each day! :)

    ReplyDelete