Three Things that Happened this Week:
- Parent-Teacher conferences-They went fairly well. Being a 8th grade homeroom teacher this year, I definitely noticed a decline in numbers, but I still saw a fair amount of families from both grades.
- Chinese Acrobats visited our school-The show was really great and I know our students enjoyed seeing them perform.
- 8th Grade started their Light & Color Unit-They were able to go to the lab for the first time this year. Things went ok, but I definitely will need to tweak how it works for next year. It is really hard to run like I have with only the lab and my classroom in another building.
- To help students with their Cell Theory Fakebook project, I created a simple Google Doc they could use to take notes. I think I will modify this further, as I still have students that struggle with turning their notes into first person accounts for their scientists. I did create a Fakebook example for my students, but I think they neglected to use the example when they were putting their project together.
- I used the Light & Color Lab from Stem Mom as I have in the past. Using last year's experience as an example, I know that students need more work with the concepts before we are ready for a summative assessment. To support their work in the lab, consolidate ideas, and lead them to be more interactive in our class discussion, I am incorporating some of the ideas from the SciNetLinks Light unit. I am excited that we will be incorporating how the eyes work into the unit as well. We haven't started this part of the unit yet, but I worked on how we will proceed through the topics today, as I was tweaking the week's lesson plans.
- My husband and I went Frisbee golfing at a local park. I did one stroke better than last week. I am happy that we bought discs this year. I really enjoy playing it.